- 2 pinch saffron strands
- 8 cups boiling water
- 1 cup small dry tapioca pearls
- 3 large ripe mangos
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon toasted ground cardamom
- 6 tablespoons chopped pistachios, for garnish
- Soak saffron in 4 tablespoons of warm water to let it bloom.
- In a boiling pot of water, add 1 cup of white tapioca pearls and stir, bringing back to boil before letting it simmer until the tapioca pearls are no longer opaque in the center and have a nice soft chew, about 30-40 minutes. Tip: If you find the center is hard when you taste test, continue to cook till they are soft. Some tapioca brands will become translucent and others will remain grey.
- Drain and rinse tapioca pearls in cold water to remove excess starch, then soak in a bowl of cold water. Set aside.
- While tapioca pearls are boiling, toast cardamom powder in a small pan, until aromatic.
- Peel and cut the mangos.
- In a blender, add the coconut milk, condensed milk, saffron (with the water it was
- soaking in), cardamom powder and mango pieces. Blend until it is a smooth pureé.
- Transfer mango puree into a large bowl and chill for 15 mins in your fridge.
- Once cool, drain the cooked tapioca pearls, add to mango pureé and mix.
- Serve in small clear bowls and top with pistachio crumbles.