Marbled Mud Cake
- 250g butter, chopped
- 1½ cups of hot water
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 and a half cups of self-raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 200g white chocolate + 90ml thickened/whipping cream
- 400g dark chocolate +200ml thickened/whipping cream
Marbled Mud Cake
- Preheat your oven to 280F. Grease a deep 8 inch round cake tin. Grease with cooking spray and line the bottom with baking paper. Set aside.
- Heat butter, hot water and sugar in a large pan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; cool to warm.
- Beat mixture with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Stir in sifted flours. Divide mixture in half. Stir white chocolate into one portion and dark chocolate into remaining portion.
- Pour white portion into prepared pan, then dark portion. Use a skewer to drag through mixtures to create a marbled effect.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until cooked when tested. Cool cake in pan.
- Add a dab of set ganache on top of your cake board or serving plate and add the first layer of cake. Pipe a layer of ganache on top of the first layer of cake and use a small offset spatula to spread around evenly. Add the second layer of cake and cover the cake in ganache.
- Use the small offset spatula to evenly spread the ganache around the cake. Add more ganache on top and repeat.
- Use a cake scraper to smoothen out the top and sides of the cake. Chill for 1 hour.
- To prepare the dark chocolate ganache for pouring, microwave until it thins out again for about 20 seconds at a time.
- Pour the melted ganache onto the cake, alternating between the white and dark chocolate ganache. Allow to set before piping swirls of chocolate ganache on top of the set ganache.
- To make the ganache, add the dark chocolate and cream to one bowl and the white chocolate and cream to another microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave each, separately, for 90 seconds at a time, mixing each time, until smooth. Allow ½ of the dark chocolate ganache to set and add to a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 8b piping tip.
- Trim the top of the cake and then cut in half using a large serrated knife.