- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce orange liqueur, such as Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more for rimming the glass
- Agave, to taste, as preferred
- Coarse sea salt
- Fresh lime, for zest and garnish
- Prep your margarita by rimming the glass. Fill one saucer with lime juice and water; fill another with two parts coarse sea salt and one part lime zest. One by one, turn your glasses upside down and tilt them into the lime water mixture. Take care to angle your class and rotate, as to not get the inside of the rim wet. Immediately place the upside-down glass in the salt-lime zest mixture, then turn right side up and set aside. Option: If you’re only making one or two drinks, simply run a half lime around the rim of your glass(es) and dip into the salt mixture.
- Measure tequila, orange liqueur and lime juice into a cocktail shaker. Add agave if desired.
- Fill with fresh ice and shake until your shaker is frosty and almost too cold to continue holding.
- Fill your rimmed glass with fresh ice.
- Strain your margarita, garnish with a lime wheel if desired, and enjoy!
- TAKE IT UP A NOTCH...MAKE IT A CADILLAC: Add a 1-ounce floater or side shot of Grand Marnier.
- MAKE THE CADILLAC FIRE: Char and squeeze in some lemon juice.