- 400g plain flour
- 90g cocoa powder
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 200g soft light brown sugar
- 360g caster sugar
- 160g unsalted butter
- 480ml whole milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 675g icing sugar
- 225g unsalted butter
- 60ml whole milk
- Red, blue, yellow, peach gel food color
- 15g cocoa powder
- 300g icing sugar
- 110g unsalted butter
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 45g dark chocolate, melted
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and two sugars until creamy.
- In another bowl/jug, whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add ⅓ of the wet ingredients into the butter mixture and mix on slow/medium speed.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and mix in ½ of the dry ingredients.
- Scrape down your bowl and beat in ½ the remaining wet ingredients followed by the rest of the dry ingredients. Once combined pour in the remaining wet ingredients.
- Once the mixture is smooth, evenly divide it into the mini cupcake cases. You will need 35 red, 27 blue, 2 yellow, 43 peach and 31 brown. 138 in total.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190ºC for 10-11 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. This will be longer if you are using larger cases.
- Repeat until all cupcakes are done. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and beat it into the butter.
- Once sandy, pour in the milk to combine.
- Beat for a good 5 minutes until the icing is paler in color and light and fluffy.
- Divide the buttercream into 4 bowls, allowing more buttercream for the peach and red colors since there are more cupcakes with those colors.
- Color each bowl of buttercream using a gel food color.
- Beat the butter and sifted icing sugar together until sandy.
- Add the milk and continue beating.
- Sift over the cocoa powder and beat until well mixed.
- Pour in the melted and cooled chocolate and beat for a good 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Transfer all the colored buttercream and chocolate buttercream into individual piping bags and cut a small hole at the end, no piping tip needed.
- Pipe a small dollop onto each cupcake making sure to cover as much cupcake as possible.
- Arrange the cupcakes onto your chosen serving board following the pixel design. Enjoy!