Matcha Red Bean Cupcakes
When matcha and red bean come together in this matcha cupcake filled with red bean paste, it's a matcha made in heaven!
- 429g all-purpose flour
- 265g caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 375ml of milk
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt (can substitute with sour cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- 2 drops green food gel (optional)
Red Bean Paste
- 1 cup red azuki beans (I used canned)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 batch fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
- 2 tbsp red bean paste
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, matcha green tea powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil, green food gel (optional) and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons).
- Bake for 30-35 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
Red Bean Paste
- Drain the canned azuki red beans and wash under water really well. Allow the beans to drain.
- Add to a food processor along with sugar. I forgot to show adding the vanilla but add vanilla extract in there too.
- Process everything really well. Add to a microwave safe bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and pierce about 4 holes in it. Microwave for 8 minutes. Allow to chill.
- To prepare the frosting add red bean paste and mix until well combined.
- Set one of the cupcakes aside and crumble. Core the centre of the cupcakes and fill with red bean paste
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a Wilton 1M tip. And frost the cupcakes in a swirl. Finish off by sprinkling with crumbled cake from one of the cupcakes.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE