- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter, at room temperature 1 cup light brown sugar 1 large egg 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda 1 teaspoon sea salt 2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 cup cocoa 1 cup buttermilk
- Matcha Buttercream:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar plus more if desired
- 2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixer cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until light and creamy.
- In another bowl whisk together the baking soda, salt, flour and cocoa.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in two parts, alternating with buttermilk, mixing well after each addition.
- Using an ice cream scoop, add batter to whoopie pie pan.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until cake puffs up and springs back to the touch. Or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely and pipe with matcha buttercream.
- Buttercream: In a mixing bowl, cream butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, matcha powder, milk, and salt and cream until volume doubles. Remove and add to piping bag.