- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 ½ pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Romaine or gem lettuce wedges
- Sliced red chile, cilantro leaves, and lime wedges, to serve
- Sweet chili sauce, to serve
- Pour coconut oil into a large heavy-bottomed pot or cast iron skillet (you want at least 2 to 3 inches of oil for frying), and heat over medium-high heat.
- Beat eggs, a pinch of salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Place shredded coconut on a plate.
- Pat shrimp dry, then dip in egg mixture and dredge in shredded coconut, pressing the coconut to the shrimp to cover all sides.
- Working in batches, fry shrimp in hot oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Serve atop lettuce wedges sprinkled with chili, cilantro leaves, and a squeeze of lime. Use chili sauce as a dipping sauce or dressing.