Mickey Mouse Christmas Cupcakes
Celebrate the holidays with chocolate Mickey Mouse Christmas cupcakes finished with red frosting and mini Oreo ears.
- Cupcake batter:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
- red food coloring
- Mini oreos
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and eggs one at a time, beating with each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Add this to the butter mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Pour the batter into a muffin pan lined with red cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes, then cool completely.
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined. Add the confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, then beat for 3-5 minutes, until fluffy.
- Dye ¾ of the buttercream red and leave the remaining buttercream white.
- Place the red buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large, star-shaped piping tip. Place the white buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a small, star-shaped piping tip.
- Pipe a large swirl of red buttercream on top of each cupcake.
- Use the white buttercream to create the top pompom and fluffy trim of the hat.
- Stick 2 mini Oreo cookies on either side of the hat to create Mickey’s ears. Enjoy!