- 21 ounce puff pastry dough
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Juice of 3 Sicilian limes
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- Mint leaves for decoration
- With a 1 1/2-inch circle cookie cutter, cut circles out of puff pastry dough.
- Use a smaller circular cookie cutter to remove the center from half of them.
- Brush the pastry rings with the yolk, then place on top of the whole pastry circles.
- Transfer to a baking sheet. Pierce the bottom of the pastries with a toothpick. Brush with egg yolk, and place in preheated oven at 350°F degrees for approximately 25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Whisk the eggs, and mix with the lime juice and sugar. Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches a creamy texture. Remove from heat, add the butter and lime zest, and set aside.
- When cool, fill the mini tortes with the lime cream and strawberries. Decorate with mint sprigs and serve.