- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 to 3 teaspoons coffee extract
- 2 cups almond slivers
- Coffee beans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a springform pan.
- Over a double boiler, beat the eggs and sugar until they reach 120 degrees, then remove from heat and beat with a hand mixer until mixture has doubled in size and become white.
- Add the flour and stir using a rubber spatula.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Over a double boiler, beat the egg whites and sugar until they reach 130 degrees, then remove from heat and beat with a hand mixer until a meringue forms.
- Gradually mix in the softened butter and the coffee extract.
- Cut the sponge cake in half, then cut the top half in half again.
- Lay the bottom half on a serving plate and cover with buttercream.
- Add another cake layer and another buttercream layer.
- Top with final cake layer and coat the entire outside with buttercream.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds, and use remaining buttercream to pipe a pattern on the cake.
- Garnish with coffee beans, slice and serve.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE