- Sponge cake:
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 to 3 teaspoons coffee extract
- 2 cups almond slivers
- Coffee beans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a springform pan.
- Make the cake: Over a double boiler, beat the eggs and sugar until they reach 120 degrees, then remove from heat and beat with a hand mixer until mixture has doubled in size and become white. Add the flour and stir using a rubber spatula. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Make the buttercream: Over a double boiler, beat the egg whites and sugar until they reach 130 degrees, then remove from heat and beat with a hand mixer until a meringue forms. Gradually mix in the softened butter and the coffee extract.
- Assemble the cake: Cut the sponge cake in half, then cut the top half in half again. Lay the bottom half on a serving plate and cover with buttercream. Add another cake layer and another buttercream layer. Top with final cake layer and coat the entire outside with buttercream. Sprinkle with slivered almonds, and use remaining buttercream to pipe a pattern on the cake. Garnish with coffee beans, slice and serve.