This isn't your average tiramisu. Say "hello" to layers of coffee-soaked finger biscuits, chocolate custard and mascarpone cream.
Mums Tiramisu Trifle
- 100g (½ cup) caster sugar
- 170g (1 cup) custard powder
- 1litre (4 cups) milk
- 160g (¾ cup) unsalted butter
- 300g (1 ½ cups) dark chocolate
- 500gm (aprox. 50 cookies) packet of sponge finger biscuits (ladyfinger biscuits)
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 300g dark chocolate, melted
- 600ml (2 ¼ cups) cream
- ½ cup mascarpone
- 2 tbsp Irish cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 2 tbsp instant espresso
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 ltr (4 cups) milk
Mums Tiramisu Trifle
- Add the sugar and custard powder to a large saucepan. Whisk to combine.
- Add half the milk and whisk until it’s combined. Add the remaining milk and whisk. Place on medium heat and continue mixing using a wooden spoon until custard thickens.
- Add the butter and chocolate and stir until combined.
- Add the custard mixture to a food processor and mix on high speed until mixture thickens.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Right before you’re ready to use the custard in the trifle, add the cooled custard back into the food processor and mix on high until the mixture becomes smooth again.
- Dip each sponge finger biscuit in coffee syrup twice and place at the bottom of the trifle bowl.
- Add 1/3 of the chocolate custard and spread around using a spoon. Add cream and repeat. Then repeat the layers in that order another 2 times.
- Finish the trifle with a thin layer of cream on top. Add the remaining cream in a piping bag fitted with an open star tip.
- Frost 8 swirls of cream around the top of the trifle.
- Finish with chocolate swirls and maraschino cherries.
- Add the melted chocolate on the back of a large, cold baking tray or a large marble board. Use a spatula to spread it around. Allow to set for one hour at room temperature.
- Then to curl the chocolate, use a spatula or bench scraper to scrape the chocolate.
- Set the chocolate curls aside in the fridge to chill.
- Pour cream and vanilla extract into a large mixing bowl. Whisk on high speed using an electric hand mixer until you reach soft peaks.
- Add mascarpone and Irish cream and continue whisking on medium speed until you reach stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Add the boiling water, coffee powder and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the milk and whisk to combine.