- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon, peppermint Extract
- Red gel food color
- 200 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 2/3 cups icing sugar
- 100 grams white chocolate, melted and cooled
- Crushed Candy Canes
- Preheat your oven to 325 F. Grease and line 2X6' cake tins with a circle of parchment paper. Combine the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the butter, sugar, milk, eggs and peppermint and beat at low speed until combined. Increase speed for 3 minutes until paler in colour. Divide the mixture equally into 2 bowls. Dye one bowl a bright red using the red gel food colouring. Pour a small amount of the cake batter into prepared tins a little of each colour at a time to create the marble effect. Swirl with a skewer to increase marbling.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing beat the butter and vanilla together in a bowl until pale and creamy. Gradually beat in icing sugar. Beat in white chocolate until smooth. Spread the butter cream in between the layers of the cakes, sprinkle a few crushed candy canes and stack. Spread a thin layer over the top and sides just revealing some of the red beneath. Top with crushed candy canes.