- 50g cocoa powder
- 175g all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 225g caster sugar
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 175ml milk
- 2 ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1 cup Nutella
- Crushed peanuts
- 1 batch Swiss meringue buttercream
- 3 tbsp smooth or crunchy peanut butter
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the cocoa powder, plain flour, salt, bicarb soda and sugar. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter until there is no butter visible and it’s well incorporated into the dry ingredients.
- Next, add, bananas, milk and eggs in a jug and whisk until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each paper 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons).
- Sprinkle with crushed peanuts. Bake for 30 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- Core each cupcake and fill with Nutella.
- Add peanut butter to Swiss meringue buttercream and mix.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a Wilton 8B piping tip and frost a swirl on each cupcake. Drizzle with more Nutella and finish with a sprinkle of crushed peanuts. If you want to get the same drizzle look as in the video, fit the end of a piping bag with a small round tip and frost the Nutella around the cupcake, similar to how you would pipe royal icing.