- FOR THE WHISKEY SYRUP:
- 3/4 cup whiskey
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 6 dashes aromatic orange bitters
- FOR THE BREAD PUDDING:
- 8 glazed donuts, dried over night or toasted in a low oven
- 5 eggs
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- Powdered sugar, to garnish
- Make the syrup: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine whiskey, maple syrup and orange bitters. Bring mixture to boil then reduce to low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool. Syrup will thicken as it cools.
- Make the bread pudding custard: In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, orange zest, bourbon vanilla extract, heavy cream, whole milk and whiskey.
- Assemble the bread pudding: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut glazed donuts into 1-inch pieces, and place them in an 8x8 baking dish. Pour custard mixture over donuts and place in the oven. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until custard is set. If bread pudding is getting too dark in color, tent with aluminum foil. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with whiskey syrup and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!