- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup buttermilk pancake mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water (approx.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Fill an 8-inch skillet halfway with oil, then turn it to medium heat until it reaches about 360 degrees.
- Add pancake mix to a bowl and whisk in the water, sugar, and vanilla.
- Batter should be the thickness of cake batter, not too runny and not too gooey. It should fall from the whisk like ribbons.
- Pour batter into a bottle with a 1/4-inch nozzle, or use a plastic sandwich baggie with the corner cut off.
- Test oil by dropping a small dot of batter in the pan. It should quickly float and bubble around the edges without burning.
- If oil is ready, quickly squeeze the batter in a circular motion into the frying pan, forming a 5-inch disk. Cook about a minute until golden brown on the bottom. Flip and cook other side, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.