- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 large head of broccoli
- 1/2 pound spaghetti noodles
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 red pepper flake packet
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Equipment: Large pot, saute pan, tongs, cutting board.
- In a saute pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then add all of the smashed garlic cloves.
- Set a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil.
- With a good grip on the broccoli, slice thinly to crumble. Separate the stems and the florets and set them all aside.
- When the water is boiling, add salt, then add the spaghetti. Set a timer for 1 minute less than the box indicates for al dente.
- Add the chopped broccoli stems to the garlic oil, then add some pasta water. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add cooked pasta to the saute pan, followed by the broccoli florets. Stir vigorously over high heat for a full minute.
- Add red pepper flakes and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Add a little more pasta water until it becomes saucy. Plate and serve.