- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound spaghetti noodles
- 1/2 can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- Equipment: Large pot, saute pan with lid, cutting board, colander
- Set a large pot filled with water over high heat and add salt. Bring to a boil.
- Cut the root and the growing end off the onion, then cut in half from root to tip and peel.
- With the flat side of each half facing down, cut half-moon slivers 1/8-inch thick.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then add the sliced onions with a healthy pinch of kosher salt and stir.
- Cook for several minutes, add some pasta water, then allow onions to cook until caramelized.
- Add pasta to boiling water, and cook 1 minute less than the package directions.
- Crush tomatoes by hand and add to the pan with onion.
- Thinly slice the peel off the lemon and add pieces to the sauce. Continue simmering.
- When pasta is al dente, remove it from the water, add to the sauce, then stir and continue to cook for 1 minute. Plate and serve.