- 8 egg whites
- 430g (2 cups) caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 drops yellow food gel
- 8 egg yolks
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup passionfruit syrup
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 fresh passionfruit
- Preheat the oven to 150C. Draw a 21cm circle on a sheet of baking paper. Place the baking paper, circle side down, on a baking tray. Draw a 18cm circle on another piece of baking paper and then draw a 10cm circle in the centre of that. Turn upside down. Set aside.
- Add your egg whites into a large mixing bowl. Use an electric hand mixer to whip them to soft peaks. Then add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time until it’s all incorporated. Adding it slowly will allow it to dissolve into the egg mixture.
- Continue whipping on high speed until the meringue becomes thick and glossy.
- Add the sifted corn flour and white vinegar and mix for 30 seconds. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 30 seconds.
- Add one spatula of the meringue into a small bowl. Add yellow food gel and fold in using a spoon until evenly coloured.
- Add the yellow meringue and some white meringue into two separate piping bags fitted with an open star tip.
- Dab each corner of both baking trays with meringue mixture and stick the baking paper to the baking tray.
- Pipe a ring of little meringue blobs on top of the baking paper with the donut shape. Set aside.
- Spoon the rest of the meringue mixture onto the baking tray with the circle. Use a spatula to shape into a circle.
- Place both trays in the oven and turn temp down to 120C. Bake for 1 hour and allow to cool in the oven. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN at any moment!!! Otherwise your pavlova will collapse.
- Place meringue base on a serving plate. Spread an even thin layer of passionfruit custard on top and then add cream on top. Top with the wreath and drizzle fresh passionfruit pulp over everything.
- Store baked and plain pavlova in an airtight container for up to one day. Top with decorations the day it’s being served.
- For the Passionfruit custard, whisk the egg yolks, passionfruit syrup, milk, vanilla and sugar together.
- Microwave for 1 minute at a time, whisking each time until mixture thickens. Allow to cool completely.
- Beat the cream and vanilla in a bowl until firm peaks form.