Mini chocolate pancakes stuffed with smooth, salty peanut butter filling certainly count as breakfast to us.
Peanut Butter-Stuffed Pancake Pockets
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 4 ½ tsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ tsp salt
- Make the filling: Beat the peanut butter, confectioner’s sugar, unsalted butter and salt with an electric mixer until smooth. Place in a piping bag fitted with a large, round tip. Set aside.
- Make the pancakes: Whisk together the flour, sugar baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, butter, vanilla extract and melted chocolate. Add this to the flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Add 1/3 of the egg whites to the batter, folding to combine. Add the remaining egg whites and mix until just combined. Spray an ebelskiver pan with cooking spray and set to medium heat. Once the pan is warm, add about 1 tbsp batter into each well. Pipe a dollop of peanut butter filling into the center of each pancake and top with another 1 tbsp batter. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until the bottoms are lightly browned. Use bamboo skewers to flip the pancakes and cook for 3 more minutes on the other side. Transfer to a plate and enjoy!