- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red and white gel food coloring
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg whites and salt until foamy, then add cream of tartar. Continue to whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar a spoonful at a time until stiff, glossy peaks form. Whisk in the peppermint extract.
- Fit a pastry bag with an open star tip, and fold back the top one-fourth of the bag. Dip a paintbrush into the red food coloring, and paint 3 evenly spaced lines inside the bag. Repeat with the white food coloring.
- Gently fill the bag with the meringue, placing the meringue as close to the middle as possible to avoid the colors mixing.
- Pipe 1-inch-diameter circles onto the baking tray spaced 1 inch apart. Top with a few white chocolate chips, and pipe a mound of meringue to cover the chocolate. Sprinkle each mound with crushed peppermint candy canes.
- Bake for an hour or until meringues are dry, crisp and light. Turn oven off, open door and allow to cool completely before enjoying.