- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups water
- 4 tablespoons black tea leaves (Darjeeling)
- Sugar to taste
- In a coffee grinder, coarsely grind cinnamon, star anise, cloves, cardamom and whole black pepper.
- In a saucepan, bring whole milk and water to a simmer. Add ground spices and ginger, and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat, and add tea leaves. Allow to steep for 10 minutes. Strain.
- Return to saucepan, and heat until just barely simmering.
- Pour into teacups, and add sugar to taste.