- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, plus extra to serve
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 8 large beef tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Basil leaves
- Parmesan shavings
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions, then allow to cool. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Warm a frying pan and gently toast the pine nuts until golden brown. Transfer them to a plate to stop them cooking.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the basil leaves, garlic, olive oil, Parmesan and salt. Add half of the toasted pine nuts and process to a thick pesto. Mix the pesto with the cooled quinoa, the rest of the pine nuts, and the baby spinach leaves.
- Slice the tops from 6 of the beef tomatoes, and core out the middle using a spoon. Reserve the middles and tops. Divide the quinoa mix among the tomatoes, then place the top back on each, like a lid. Arrange the stuffed tomatoes in a baking dish and cook for 20 minutes, until heated through and starting to brown.
- Chop the remaining two tomatoes. Place chopped tomatoes and reserved tomato cores in a saucepan. Add the tomato puree, olive oil and salt. Cook slowly until reduced and thick, then remove from heat. Serve each cooked tomato on a bed of tomato sauce.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE