- 1 whole pineapple
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 water
- 1/4 cup rum
- 2 pods star anise
- 2 to 3 medium chunks dry ice
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1 can cream of coconut
- For the pineapple bowl: Cut the pineapple in half lengthwise. Set aside one half for later use. In the other half, remove pineapple flesh, making sure to leave enough rind in the pineapple for it to hold the ice cream later. Reserve 1 cup of pineapple, cut into small cubes, for compote.
- For the compote: In a small saucepan over medium high heat, add the diced pineapples, sugar, water, rum and star anise. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes until pineapple begins to soften. Reduce to low heat until compote thickens. Cool in fridge before serving.
- For the coconut ice cream: Using tongs, place 2 chunks of dry ice on a kitchen towel and cover with the towel. Use a mallet to pound the dry ice until it becomes a fine powder, then carefully transfer into a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add heavy cream and coconut cream. Whip until blended. With the mixer still running, add about 1 tablespoon of dry ice at a time until mixture resembles soft-serve consistency.
- To assemble: Add a few scoops of the coconut ice cream to the pineapple boat. Top with pineapple compote and and fresh mint, and enjoy immediately!