- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 large pineapple
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) free range chicken
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/2 cup red onions, diced
- 1 red chili, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add soy sauce, brown sugar, pineapple juice, garlic, and ginger, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes until it starts to thicken. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the pineapple to create a stand for the chicken and place it upright in a baking tray. Position the chicken on the pineapple then brush it with marinade. Reserve the unused pineapple for the salsa.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then baste with leftover marinade. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and cook for another 45 minutes, basting with marinade occasionally.
- Meanwhile, dice the remaining pineapple flesh and add to a medium bowl with avocado, red onions, chili, and lime.
- When the cooking time is up, turn oven off and leave the door ajar for 10 minutes to let the chicken rest before serving alongside salsa.