Pistachio and Saffron Cake
Ben and Jamie from Sorted Food make a gorgeous pistachio and saffron cake.
- 1 generous pinch saffron
- 80 grams pistachio nuts
- 250 grams ground almonds
- 250 grams caster sugar
- 90 grams plain flour
- 7 whole eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 jar orange curd
- 500 grams whipped cream
- 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons powdered cinnamon
- 1 handful rose petals
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Steep the saffron in a little boiling water.
- Blitz the pistachio nuts until as fine as possible. Combine the ground pistachios, almonds, 80 grams of the sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in the whole eggs one by one, followed by the steeped saffron (with the liquid). Pour the remaining sugar and egg whites into a separate bowl and whisk to soft peaks.
- Pour the remaining sugar and egg whites into a separate bowl and whisk to soft peaks. Fold the egg whites into the cake mix gently, in 2 batches.
- Line 3 20 centimeters diameter round cake tins with greaseproof paper and pour over the sponge mix evenly. Bake for 25 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Spread an even layer of the orange curd onto two of the cooled sponges. Whip the whipped cream with the orange zest, icing sugar and powdered cinnamon. Layer the whipped cream over the orange curd.
- Spread whipped cream over the third layer and scatter with extra pistachios. Stack all three tiers on top of one another, the sponge with pistachios on top to serve.