- Sugar cookie dough (recipe at www.pankobunny.com)
- 1/2 pounds confectioner's sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoon meringue powder
- Scant 1/4 cup water
- Food coloring
- Roll the cookie dough out until 1/4-inch thick and cut out mitten shapes. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350F for 10 minutes, or until the edges are just starting to brown. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Using the icing for the base, pipe a border of icing around the perimeter of the cookies and fill in the border with the icing. Allow the icing to harden completely, about 1 hour. Using the icing for the accent colur of the plaid pattern, pipe a large check pattern onto the cookies. Use the remaining icing color to add three more stripes to each stripe you've already piped on (both vertically and horizontally). If you're running out of room, just add two stripes.
- Allow the icing to fully harden, about 1 hour. Enjoy your cozy cookies!
- Combine the confectioner's sugar and meringue powder in a large bowl. Add the water and beat for 7 minutes, until it is smooth and when drizzled, stays on the surface for a few seconds. Divide into as many bowls as you like — each mitten uses 3 shades of icing. Add 1/4 teaspoon of water to the icing that you are going to use as the base (aka background color) of the mittens. Place all shades of icing into piping bags fitted with small, round piping tips. I used #2 piping tips.