- 3 plantains
- 2 avocados
- Olive oil
- 3 1/2 ounces shrimp or prawns
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to garnish
- Start by peeling the plantains, then cut them into 1-inch slices. Fry the slices in plenty of hot oil until they are lightly browned.
- Remove plantains from the oil and use a glass or dish to crush them (be careful not to break them apart).
- Press each plantain slice into the bottom of a small bowl to form a basket shape. Then re-fry until golden brown and set aside.
- In a bowl, mash up the avocado along with lemon juice or vinegar to keep from browning.
- Heat a skillet and add some olive oil and the shrimp, garlic powder and pepper. Cook until shrimp become pink, about 2-3 minutes.
- Build the baskets. Place a dollop of avocado in each fried plantain slice, then top with some shrimp and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper.