- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 large green plantains, trimmed, peeled and halved widthwise
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons packaged mole sauce
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce
- Zest and juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons juice)
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cumin, paprika, chili powder, onion powder and salt. Set aside.
- Push a skewer into each plantain half. Using a paring knife, slice through the plantain, rotating the fruit with your hand to create a spiral. Carefully extend with your fingers to elongate the shape. Repeat with all the plantains. Roll the plantains in half of the spice mixture.
- Fill a wide stock pot or Dutch oven about halfway up with vegetable oil, and heat to 360°F. Fry the plantain skewers in batches for about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate. Season immediately with remaining spice mixture.
- For the sauce, whisk together the mayonnaise, mole sauce, adobo sauce, lime zest, lime juice and cilantro. Serve with plantains.