- 6 ounces egg whites (about 5 eggs), room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Brown food coloring
- White and black piping
- 1 teaspoon desired extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Separate egg whites from eggs. Pour egg whites into standing mixer bowl. Using the whisk attachment, whisk on low until bubbles start to form, then increase to high speed until peaks start to form. It will look very foamy. This can take about 7 minutes.
- Slowly add sugar at high speed. Once all sugar is incorporated, whisk on high for about 5-8 minutes. Make sure sugar is melted into mixture; check by rubbing mixture between two fingers. Meringue is ready when mixture is shiny, and can form a stiff peak on the tip of your finger or whisk attachment.
- Spoon meringue mix into a cup and add brown food coloring. Make sure food coloring is potent (Americolor or Wilton brand work best). Mix well, making sure there is no wet food coloring. Spoon into a piping bag with a large Wilton 2A piping tip.
- Pipe poos on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, making sure you get 4 layers just like the poo emoji. Try making them all the same size to ensure they bake evenly. The bottom layer should be about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes, depending on size. When done, turn off oven, but leave meringues inside oven for 30 minutes. When completely cool, begin putting eyes and mouths on meringues using white and black piping. Store in an airtight container.