- 2 sheets of short crust pastry
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp corn starch slurry (see recipe)
- ½ of the strawberry jam
- 600ml thickened/whipping cream
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup funfetti rainbow sprinkles
- 200g dark chocolate
- 90ml thickened/whipping cream
- Begin by making the strawberry jam: Add the frozen strawberries, sugar and lemon juice to a medium sized saucepan. Use a wooden spoon to stir until the mixture begins to bubble.
- Allow to cool away on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- We’re going to thicken this jam using corn starch. The best way to do that is by using a corn starch slurry. To make the corn starch slurry, add 2 tbsp water and 2 tbsp of corn starch to a small mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Add the slurry to the jam while you’re mixing with a spoon. Continue mixing for 1 minute until mixture thickens.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Add the jam to a food processor and process until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Next, we’re going to create some stencils: Use a ruler and a food safe marker to cut out two pieces of cardboard measuring 7cm x 4cm.
- Fold one piece in half and cut out a square hole in the centre. We want to end up with a piece of cardboard that looks like a frame.
- Place the non-cut out piece of cardboard on one of the sheets of pastry and use it to measure out and cut 8 rectangle pieces. I used a bench scraper to help me do this but you can use a knife.
- Use the end of a toothpick to pierce holes in 4 pieces of the pastry rectangles.
- Place the frame cardboard stencil on top of the remaining 4 pastry rectangles and add 1 tbsp of jam in the centre.
- Use a spoon or small offset spatula to spread evenly.
- Place the jam pastry pieces on a baking tray lined with baking paper and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Take out of the freezer and brush some egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 tbsp milk) on the outside of the jam pastry rectangles and place the pastry rectangles with the holes on top.
- Use your fingers to gently press together. Use the end of a fork to cringle each side of the pastry.
- Bake for 20 minutes on 180C.
- Allow to cool.
- To make the ice cream add the cream, vanilla extract and sweetened condensed milk to a large mixing bowl.
- Use an electric hand mixer to whip to soft peaks.
- Add the rest of the strawberry jam and whip to stiff peaks.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9x9 inch square cake tin with baking paper.
- Pour the cream mixture in it and freeze overnight.
- Use one of the cardboard rectangles to help you cut out ice cream.
- Place each ice cream piece on top of 4 pop tarts and sandwich with remaining pop tarts.
- Serve immediately.
- To make the ganache add the cream and chocolate to a large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds at a time, mixing each time until smooth.
- Dip the top of all the pop tarts in the ganache and allow excess to drip off.
- Place on a baking tray and sprinkle with sprinkles and allow to set.