- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup salted popcorn
- 2 1/3 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 ounces butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- Pour buttermilk into a large bowl and soak popcorn for 30 minutes. While that is soaking, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 7-inch cake pans and set aside.
- Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla.
- Strain buttermilk, being careful to remove all popcorn. Reserve 1 cup for the cake. Using a mixer on medium speed, beat the butter until creamy. Over the course of 3 minutes, beat in the sugar. Over 2 minutes, add the egg mixture. Reduce the speed to low and alternate adding the flour and buttermilk in three parts, scraping the bowl.
- Divide the batter between the pans and smooth the tops. Bake until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then un-mold onto a rack to cool completely before frosting.