Potato Chip-Crusted Spicy Mac 'n' Cheese
Spice up basic baked macaroni and cheese with zesty jalapeño, pepper jack and crispy chips.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- Pinch of crushed chili flakes (optional)
- 3 cups shredded sharp white cheddar
- 3 cups shredded pepper jack
- 1 box of macaroni (cooked according to package directions)
- 1-2 jalapeños, sliced (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 small bag potato chips (we recommend jalapeño or salt and vinegar for a little tang), crushed
- Hot sauce, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare individual ramekins, 13x9 baking dish, or casserole dish with butter.
- In a pot, melt butter with flour, dry mustard, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and add cheese, mixing until smooth. Stir in cooked macaroni and sliced jalapeños.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and top with crushed potato chips. Bake until golden and bubbly. Serve hot with hot sauce, if desired.