- 5 large potatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 ham slices, cut into small rectangles
- 6 cheese slices, cut into small rectangles
- Dijon mustard
- Butter, for greasing the dish
- For the bechamel:
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/3 cup of plain flour
- 2 1/4 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup gruyere, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- Chopped chives, to serve
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a casserole dish with butter.
- Mandoline the potatoes into thin slices and set aside.
- Lay a potato slice on your work surface, spread a small amount of dijon mustard on top and lay a slice of ham on top, then add a piece of cheese to cover. Roll the potato, cheese and ham up in a spiral shape so you are left with a potato, cheese and ham circle. Secure with a toothpick if necessary and set aside. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients .
- To make the bechamel: Melt the butter in a saucepan and when melted add the flour. Mix and cook out for 2 minutes then turn the heat off and begin to add the milk. Do this slowly, beating everything together really well between additions, until all the milk is used up. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened, then add the gruyere cheese and stir in until melted.
- Pour the bechamel into the casserole then add the potato rolls until the casserole is filled. Top with the shredded mozzarella, cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes, until the top is golden.
- Serve the casserole sprinkled with chives.