- 3 pounds russet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1 serrano, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, cut in cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Canola oil for frying
- Heat oven to 425°F. Place the potatoes on the middle rack, and cook for 60-70 minutes, until the skins are crisp and a knife easily pierces them. Remove from oven and let cool. When cool enough to handle, slice potato in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch intact. Reserve the flesh for Potato Tot Recipe. Slice potato in half length wise, again. (Note: These can be made weeks in advance and frozen.)
- Fill a large pot halfway with oil. Heat oil to 360°F. Add skins and fry until golden deep brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove to paper-towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place all skins on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with cheese. Place under broiler on high, until cheese melts. Remove from oven, top with bacon, sour cream, chives, serranos and avocado. Serve warm.