- 5 1/4 cups kosher salt
- 3 3/4 cups sugar
- 12 large egg yolks
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse salt and sugar together in several batches until all is combined.
- Pour half of the mixture into a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish.
- Create 12 indents evenly spaced in the dish for the yolks.
- Place yolks in the indents and cover with remaining salt and sugar mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 4 days.
- After at least 4 days, uncover the preserved yolks.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees, and brush yolks to remove the cure.
- Rinse the yolks in water and pat dry.
- Place yolks on a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the yolks are dry on the outside and tender to the touch. Yolks will keep up to a month covered in the fridge.
- Shave over soups, pasta or vegetables as you would hard cheeses.