Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 15-ounce cans pumpkin (total 22 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1 tablespoon orange food coloring
- 1/2 cup milk, optional for softening frosting
- 1/2 cup marzipan
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray 2 Bundt cake pans with vegetable oil spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix oil and sugar until combined. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Alternate adding flour mixture and pumpkin until thoroughly combined. Mix in sour cream.
- Divide batter between the 2 cake pans, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. Reserve 1/2 cup frosting in a small bowl, and pour the rest into a medium-sized bowl. Add 3 drops of green food coloring to the small bowl, and mix to combine. Transfer to a piping bag with a leaf-shaped tip.
- Add drops of orange food coloring to the frosting in the medium-sized bowl until desired color is reached. Mix until combined.
- Mix marzipan with cocoa powder a teaspoon at a time until desired color is reached. Roll marzipan into a tapered log with one side thicker than the other to resemble a pumpkin stem.
- Assemble the cake: Begin with one cooled Bundt cake upside down. If necessary, cut the bottom to form an even base. Spread a thin layer of frosting on top and place the other Bundt cake right-side up.
- Soften the remaining frosting in the microwave or with 1/2 cup of milk, until it is pourable but still thick. Pour frosting from the top of the Bundt cakes down the sides to drip all the way over the bottom cake. Top with the marzipan stem and fill in with green frosting to create leaves around the base of the stem.