Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cake
A decadent pumpkin cake with rich peanut butter frosting just might be your new favorite marriage of flavors.
- 1/3 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Peanut butter frosting:
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter, cold
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter, cold
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted peanuts, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a 6-inch cake pan as a stencil, trace 2 circles onto parchment paper with a pencil, then cut circles out. Coat two, 6-inch cake pans with nonstick spray and flour, and place a parchment paper circle in each pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut milk and vinegar and beat together until foamy. Allow mixture to rest while you prepare the next step.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside.
- Add the pumpkin puree, canola oil, vanilla extract, brown sugar and granulated sugar to the coconut milk and vinegar mixture. Whisk until completely combined and smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Transfer the pumpkin cake batter to the lined baking pans. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack. To remove the cakes, place cooling rack on top of cake so the tiny legs are sticking out, then flip the cooling rack and pan. Place on a flat surface and remove the cake pan, followed by the parchment paper, slowly. Allow to fully cool before frosting.
- Prepare frosting: Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, blend the peanut butter and butter together on medium speed until fully incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl. Add the powdered sugar and continue to mix until smooth. Add vanilla extract and mix until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Assemble the cake: Once cakes are cooled, place one cake layer on a cake stand. Using an offset spatula, add a layer of peanut frosting. Place the other cake layer on top of the frosting. Frost the sides and top of the cake. Decorate with peanuts before slicing and serving.