- For the rum-spiked pumpkin butter:
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup spiced dark rum
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the popovers:
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin
- For the rum spiked pumpkin butter: Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low but rapid simmer. Allow mixture to cook and reduce for about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring regularly. Mixture will reduce, darken and thicken. Allow to cool completely, then store refrigerated for up to 10 days.
- For the popovers: Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease a 6 popover pan well. Whisk together eggs and milk until frothy. Whisk in flour, salt and pumpkin until mixture is thickened with just a few lumps remaining.
- Fill popover cups three-fourths of the way up. Bake for 20 minutes, lower heat to 350 degrees, and bake for 20 minutes more. Remove from pans immediately, and poke a small hole in the popovers to let the steam out. Serve immediately with pumpkin butter.