- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Pink, orange, yellow, green and blue food colouring
- Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until it becomes light and fluffy. Add the milk, egg and vanilla, and mix well. Then slowly add the flour mixture until it is just combined.
- Divide the dough in half and place one half aside.
- Divide the second half into 5 pieces and dye them pink, orange, yellow, green and blue and roll them into sausage shapes, then press them together. Roughly shape both the white and rainbow dough into squares, wrap them in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge until firm.
- Roll the white dough out into a 7'x7' square. Use a ruler to slice the dough into nine 3/4-inch-wide strips. Roll the coloured dough into 7'-long sausages and arrange them side by side, pressing them together. Roll into a 7'x7' square. Slice the dough into 9 strips as well.
- Place a sheet of plastic wrap on your surface and place a pink, white and orange strip of dough on top. Gently press them together. Place a white strip on top of the pink, a yellow strip on top of the white, and another white strip on top of the orange. Gently press together. Create the 3rd layer by placing a green strip on top of the white, a white strip on top of the yellow and a blue strip on top of the white. Wrap in the plastic wrap and shape into a clean rectangle shape. Repeat with the remaining dough, alternating the coloured dough with the white dough. Place the dough in the freezer for 25 minutes, or until frozen solid.
- Unwrap the dough and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350F for 10 minutes. Cool the cookies on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely. Enjoy!