Rainbow Pommes Anna
It may sound fancy, but this colorful French dish made with baby potatoes is easier than it sounds.
- 1 pound baby potatoes, various colors
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- White pepper
- Créme fraîche
- Finely chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Set a rimmed baking sheet on a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Using a mandoline, slice the potatoes very thinly, about 1/8 inch. Place the slices on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain, keeping the colors separated. Blot the tops dry with another paper towel.
- Using 4 mini cast-iron skillets, place about one tablespoon of butter into each and heat over medium heat. Starting in the center of each pan, lay potato slices in an overlapping spiral, alternating colors. (Be careful as the butter is hot and may spatter.) Add a second layer of potatoes, spiraling in the opposite direction.
- Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with more butter, just enough to coat the potatoes. Repeat until pans are full. As you layer the potatoes, overlap them more in the center to create a mound. After each repetition, give the pans a little shake so that the potatoes don't stick.
- Butter the bottoms of 2 additional mini cast-iron pans. Press them into the tops of each potato pan, then remove. Butter pieces of foil, and lay them on top of the potatoes, pressing foil against the side of the pan, then place another layer of foil tightly over the top.
- Place skillets on the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Carefully remove pans from the oven, and remove the foil. Press again with the buttered cast-iron pans, then return pans to the oven and bake uncovered for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the sides are brown.
- Remove pans from oven and press with the buttered cast-iron pans. While pressing, drain off the excess butter. Use a spatula to carefully loosen the potatoes, then turn out onto plates. Garnish with a dollop of créme fraîche and a sprinkle of chives.