- 1 ½ pounds shredded phyllo dough, ground
- 5 ½ tablespoons sweet butter, divided
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons powdered orange dye
- 12 ounces ackawi cheese
- 12 ounces sweet white cheese
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella
- 2 cups simple syrup
- ¼ cup ground pistachios, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Soak ackawi cheese in water for at least 6 hours to remove saltiness.
- Mix ground kanafeh dough with margarine and 3 tablespoons of melted sweet butter.
- Add 2 teaspoons of powdered orange dye to 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter and spread out into a large pan. Spread out kanafeh dough mixture into a pan, on top of the butter, and press it flat.
- Grind ackawi cheese, sweet white cheese and mozzarella in a food processor. Layer cheese mixture on top of the kanafeh and bake in the oven until lightly golden and the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
- Pour simple syrup over the kanafeh and top with pistachios. Serve immediately and enjoy!