- 2 small eggplants, cut into rounds
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into rounds
- 2 small zucchinis, cut into 1/4-inch rounds and ribbons
- 2 small yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch rounds and ribbons
- Olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, long slices
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes,1/4 cup of liquid removed
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley, for garnish
- Basil, for garnish
- French bread, to serve
- Cook the vegetables: In a 9-inch cast-iron skillet coated in oil, cook all the vegetable rounds in batches for about 5 to 8 minutes each. (No need to cook the zucchini and squash ribbons; they roll up better when raw.) Remove vegetables to a plate to cool.
- Make the sauce and ratatouille: In the same skillet, heat olive oil and add onions. Sauté until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the can of tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat and begin to create ratatouille pattern with the cooked vegetables. Arrange rounds in the center. Create roses by tightly rolling ribboned vegetables. Have fun and be creative. Turn heat to low and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, then remove lid and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes so the liquid can reduce. Serve with crusty French bread.