- 3 medium-sized beets, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed oil
- 2 large eggs
- 141 gram (5 ounces) can of tuna in water, drained
- 2 cups cream cheese, room temperature
- Place the beets in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 45 minutes, until the beets can be easily pierced with a knife. Drain and place in a food processer and pulse until smooth. This should make about 2 cups of puree. Set aside.
- Add the hot water, flour, oil, tuna and eggs and mix until well combined.
- Dollop into a greased mini muffin tin. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes until golden brown on top. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes have fully cooled, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Place the cream cheese in a piping bag fitted with a large, star-shaped piping tip. Pipe a dollop of cream cheese onto each cupcake.
- To store, cover these with aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.