- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 2 pasilla chiles, stemmed, seeded, deveined, and torn into small pieces
- 2 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, deveined, and torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup dried whole oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Spanish paprika (pimento)
- Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat.
- Pour in the cumin, coriander, fennel and mustard seeds along with the pieces of pasilla and ancho chiles. Toast, stirring constantly, until aromatic and just begins to smoke, about 3 minutes.
- Dump the mixture onto a plate and let it cool to room temperature.
- Grind to a fine powder in a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder.
- Transfer powder to a large bowl and add the oregano, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Stir well to combine.
- Store the adobo in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag in a cool, dark place for up to a month.