- 1.5 cups sugar
- 0.5 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- 0.5 tsp caramel extract
- 0.25 tsp brown gel food dye
- 0.25 tsp yellow gel food dye
- Prepare 3 cookie sheets by greasing them with some non-stick cooking spray. Preheat your oven to 175˚F.
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup and water into a saucepan and heat on medium. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and then, without stirring, let mixture reach 285˚F. Swirl the mixture a couple times during the heating process to distribute the heat evenly.
- Remove the candy from the heat and stir in the caramel extract. Pour out a third of the mixture onto each baking sheet. Dye one sheet brown and one sheet yellow using the back of a chopstick or skewer. Don't worry about mixing it completely we will incorporate it better later. Place two of the sheets in the oven and work with the third one.
- To protect your hands, wear mittens with plastic gloves over top. Begin the pulling process by gathering the sugar and pulling it into a strip. If it's too hot or liquid to work with, leave it for a minute or two to form a skin. When pulling the sugar take each end and pull and twist similar to how you would give a snake bite. Bring the two ends back together and repeat. The sugar will go from transparent to opaque.
- Repeat this process with each color, returning the sugar to the oven when not in use. Then press the three colors side by side on a single baking sheet and place in the oven once more for about ten minutes until the colors have fully stuck together. To pull the sugar ribbons I like to cut a small 1.5 inch tri-colored rectangle using kitchen shears and use my hands to pull and flatten it until I have a thin piece of candy which is roughly 6 inches long and 2 inches wide. Then I use my fingers to shape the ribbon guiding it back and forth. The candy will harden quickly so you'll have to work fast. If the main chunk of candy becomes too hard, place it back in the oven for 5-10 minutes to re-soften. Repeat with all remaining candy and store in an air tight container or package immediately to avoid the candy from getting sticky.
- Tip, to clean sugar off of any of your utensils or pans let soak in warm water for an hour or so until all the sugar has dissolved.