Watermelon Feta Salad Skewers
- 1/2 seedless watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pint fresh blackberries or blueberries
- 1 (8 ounces) block of feta, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Fresh mint leaves
- Pickled shallots (recipe below)
- Extra-virgin olive oil and flake salt for garnish
- Pickled shallots:
- 2 large shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of red chili pepper flakes
- Place the thinly sliced shallots into a large Mason jar or container that has a lid.
- Place the vinegar, sugar, thyme, bay leaf, salt and red chili flakes in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir well, remove the pan from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Pour the mixture over the sliced shallots, close the lid and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 weeks.
- Alternating ingredients, build the skewers in any order that you'd like.
- Top with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of flake salt. Serve cold.