- Cake Base:
- Butter, for greasing
- 1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 lLarge Eggs
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Dulce de Leche, slightly warmed
- 1/4 cup Icing Sugar, for dusting
- Caramel Filling:
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup Dulce De Leche
- 1 cup Pretzels, crushed
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Place a piece of parchment on a baking sheet and rub with some butter on the paper and up along the sides of the pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour and salt. Bring an inch of water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Combine the eggs and sugar in a heatproof glass bowl, then place over the simmering water. Using a hand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together over medium speed for about two minutes, until the eggs are thick, pale yellow. Remove the egg bowl from the heat and continue beating at medium high speed for another 3 minutes, until it’s thick and airy. At this stage you can mix in the melted butter and dulce de leche.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold in until just incorporated. Pour out onto baking sheet and place in oven for 5-6 minutes until springy. Place a piece of parchment paper slightly larger that the cake onto your surface and sift the icing sugar over top. Turn out the cooked cake onto the icing sugar. Peel away the paper. Carefully roll up the cake using the paper as a guide. Set aside and let cool completely.
- For the filling, place whipping cream in a bowl and begin to mix with electric beaters adding in a little bit of the dulce de leche at a time. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Unroll the cooled cake and smooth out the filling overtop before sprinkling over your pretzels. Roll back up and chill before serving. Drizzle with warm caramel just before serving.