- 11/4 cups milk
- 6 eggs, whisked
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter + extra for greasing
- 16 slices of bread
- 16 slices of ham
- 16 slices of cheddar cheese + 1/4 cup grated
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- Hot sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Dip bread slices in mixture, flipping once to make sure they are coated. Reserve egg wash for later.
- In a nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat, and place bread in pan. Cook until golden on each side, flipping once. Repeat with remaining bread.
- Prepare a 13x9 casserole dish with butter, and build casserole by layering 1/2 the French toast slices, top with half the sliced cheese, sliced ham and chopped bell peppers. Top with remaining cheese slices and French toast slices along with reserved egg wash, and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbly.