Sea Kween Macarons
- 300g almond flour
- 300g powdered sugar
- 110g liquefied egg whites (see below)
- 300g caster sugar
- 75g water
- 110g liquefied egg whites
- Small white sprinkles
- 3 tbsp gold lustre dust
- 2 tbsp clear alcohol or vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Queens Mermaid Magic food flavouring (or your favourite clear flavouring)
- BLUE: 3 drops sky blue food gel
- GREEN: 3 drops sky blue food gel + 4 drops teal food gel
- PURPLE: 3 drops purple food gel + 2 drops deep pink food gel
- PINK: 3 drops deep pink food gel
Sea Kween Macarons
- Add half the icing sugar and almond flour into a food processor and process until well combined. Repeat with the other half. This will help get rid of any lumps in the sugar. Alternatively you may sift the two together. This must be done at least 3 times.
- Empty the almond mixture into a large mixing bowl, add the first portion of egg whites and mix until it forms a paste. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Add the sugar and water into a small saucepan. Give them a very gentle stir to get them mixed together.
- Bring to a boil on medium high heat, then turn down to a simmer. Add a candy thermometer to the pot to help you measure the temp of the syrup. As the syrup bubbles away it will splatter small bubbles of sugared water on the sides of the pot. Use a pastry brush dabbed in a little water to brush those back into the syrup. This will help prevent the syrup from crystallizing.
- When the syrup reaches 115C, add the second portion of egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer and start whisking them on medium/high speed to help break them apart and get them a little frothy.
- When the syrup reaches 118C, pour it over the egg whites in a slow and steady stream. Whisk to stiff peaks for about 6 min.
- Add the mermaid magic flavouring at about the 3 min point, whisk into the meringue for a couple of minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down, then whisk for an extra couple of minutes. When you can turn the bowl over and the meringue doesn’t fall out, you know you’ve reached stiff peaks.
- Grab a spatula full of the meringue and fold it into the almond-sugar mixture, mix until well combined. This allows the mixture to thin out a little before you add the rest of the mixture.
- Then add the rest of the meringue and fold by going around the bowl with a spatula then through the middle (as demonstrated in the video). Usually I’d tell you to continue folding until you reach the ribbon stage, but for this recipe just fold in the remaining meringue until it’s just combined.
- Split the mixture into 4 mixing bowls. Add the colours using the formulas listed in the ingredients list to colour them blue, green, pink and purple.
- Fill four medium sized piping bags with each colour. Fill just below half way. Snip off a small bit of the end and insert into a large piping bag fitted with a medium sized round tip.
- Pipe rounds of batter about 3.5cm (1.38 inches) in diameter, spacing them 2cm apart on (flat) baking trays lined with baking parchment. Sprinkle with white sprinkles.
- Gently tap the tray on the work surface covered with a kitchen cloth. Leave to stand for at least 30 minutes, until a skin forms on the shells. They shouldn’t be sticky when you touch them. It’s at this point that you can preheat a fan forced oven to 180C (360F)
- Bake for 12 minutes. If you feel your oven is causing the macarons to brown on one side (usually the side closest to the fan) turn the tray around about half way through baking. Once they’re baked, let them cool completely.
- Splatter the macarons with the gold paint.
- Let them dry completely and don’t splatter too much gold on them because when macarons come into contact with moisture or liquid they melt and soften.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a Wilton 8B piping tip and frost a swirl of mermaid magic frosting.
- Sandwich with another macaron to finish.
- Add gold lustre dust and alcohol to a small mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Use a new tooth brush to flicker gold onto macarons.
- 1 batch Swiss meringue buttercream frosting
- 2 tsp Queens Mermaid magic food flavouring (or your favourite clear flavouring)
- 3 drops sky blue food gel + 4 drops teal food gel + 2 drops yellow food gel
- To prepare frosting add mermaid magic flavouring and food gels and mix until well combined.