- 4 to 6 quarts water
- Salt, to taste
- 4 ounces (110 grams) spaghetti
- 2 ounces (50 grams) guanciale
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano, grated
- 2 egg yolks
- Bring water to a boil. Add salt.
- Drop spaghetti into the boiling water, and cook 1 minute shy of the recommended cook time.
- Meanwhile, cut the guanciale into equal-sized strips (about the width of a #2 pencil). Add the strips to the sauté pan with a splash of olive oil and some black pepper, and cook until deep golden in color, even a bit burnt.
- With a minute shy of the al dente time on the pasta, add the spaghetti to the guanciale pan.
- Add some pasta water, the grated cheese, and egg yolks to the pan. Then toss, and monitor the state of the emulsification. Don't let the eggs scramble.
- Add black pepper to the pasta. Serve and enjoy.